Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique
The nation of Grenada, measuring 344 km2, is composed of three key islands: Grenada and its sister islands Carriacou and Petite Martinique. Each is beautiful and rich in culture, historic sites, fresh culinary delights, and much more. Carriacou is only a 90-minute boat ride from St. George’s, the nation’s capital city which is located on the southwest Coast of the island. St. George’s is the seat of government and the main commercial centre.
Grenada’s proximity to the Equator ensures a year-round tropical climate, with average temperatures ranging between 23 and 28 °C. Its cooling trade winds offer very comfortable conditions.
Grenada was traditionally inhabited by Carib Indians who migrated from the South American mainland. The island was originally known as Camerhougue, but Christopher Columbus renamed it ‘Concepción Island’ when he visited it in 1498. Successive Spanish sailors found it to be so evocative of Andalucía’s green mountain scenery that they named it after the city of Granada.
Grenada was a French and British colony, but gained independence from the United Kingdom on February 7, 1974. The islands still retain traces of European influence in their culture, architecture and place names.
Grenada’s population is highly educated and has a very high literacy rate. St George’s University hosts over 6,000 students from over 140 countries, offers faculties of Medicine and Veterinary Science, and has been operating for over forty years.